Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

It's been a long time...

Well hello world!!!  I know it has been a ridiculously long time since I have posted anything here, but I wanted to provide an update on how things have been so far.  The master planned community continues to grow at an alarming rate and Riverstone still ranks #4 in the entire country and #1 in the state of Texas for sales. That means increasing prices and MORE equity for me!!!!! While the equity aspect is wonderful, that also means increasing property taxes as well.  Granted, the property tax rate here is 3.2% of the appraised value (which does not translate to the market value of your home), every dollar counts. But I digress.


Before discussing my most recent dealings with Toll Brothers in my next post, I will try to address some things that I have been asked about my home.

Insulation
I cannot recall whether this has been mentioned in  a prior post, but I have cold/hot rooms in my house.  My home faces Southeast and I have absolutely no idea if that has to do with anything - but I figured I'd mention it. I don't follow any sort of feng shui so I don't really care in that sense. It appears that the direction my home faces could come into play simply because the colder rooms are all on the same side of the house. I'm not really sure that there's anything that could be done to prevent these types of things. I did my due diligence and inspected the insulation and still have this issue. I attempted to have my HVAC system balanced so that air flow is directed in such a way that the entire room is comfortable. My husband sabotaged my attempt by accepting the HVAC guy's assessment saying that everything was 'working properly' and not bringing the cold/hot rooms to his attention. Oh well.

Alarm System & Insurance discount
I really wish I had not gone with Westminster Security, the home monitoring company owned by Toll Brothers. The draw, as usual, had to do with having the equipment (window and door contacts, 2 motion sensors and 2 keypads) installed for free if you signed a contract with the Westminster. In my home, 2 keypads just aren't enough and we contacted Westminster to inquire about an additional keypad and I think they quoted us at like $250. :-|   That's just ridiculous. After that quote I looked at my paperwork and would you believe that the contract is for 6 freakin' years? Bottom line - don't do it.  You take away your freedom to choose your security company and upgrade to the other services offered by other alarm companies are decent rates. My homeowner's insurance discount was for 2% ($160) for having an alarm system.

Honestly friends, the longer I stay in this house the more I realize that there are company that do EVERYTHING after the fact. I'm sure it's nothing to have an alarm system added afterwards. I have seen my neighbors customize their homes EXTENSIVELY (or you can interchange that word with EXCESSIVELY depending on the neighbor). The down side of course is that it's a little different paying cash as opposed to financing something for 30 years. But needless to say, don't let trying to save a little lock you into a contract with a lackluster security company with keypads from 1985.

Media room
We had our wiring done through Toll Brothers but please believe that there are lots of people out there that have added everything in their media rooms after completion of their home. The company we used does all sorts of home theater installations.

We also used them to install our security cameras.  I know, I know.  No, we are not celebrities who need to monitor who is on our property. But, we do not have a peephole and our front door is recessed so we cannot look out any window in our home and see who is at the door. And plus, they are just nice to have.

I have zero knowledge about sound dampening insulation but I truly believe that would be money well-spent. We do not use or media room during the week usually but my son would be able to hear every.single.word from those speakers.  So consider asking about options available to provide some sort of sound barrier for the neighboring room. 

Construction Quality
I have no complaints with the overall quality of our home. I have looked at model homes for other builders and immediately see the difference. I have even been in homes of people I know with new homes and see that their standards are less. Like everything else, I am quite sure this will vary by construction manager and how thorough and particular they are and what they demand from the contractors.

My next post will be about my ongoing ordeal, I mean experience, with addressing warranty claims.

Until next time!!!


27 comments:

  1. Hello Dee

    Thank you for taking the time to document your building experience with Toll. All these little tips - like the Westminister Security being a 6 year contract is seriously interesting information for me and other buyers.

    You should probably ask Toll Brothers for advertising money. There is so much more information here than at any one place elsewhere :)) Plus you say it like it is.

    Regards

    Philip



    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently the contract for Westminister Security is now for 3 years with a new house and not 6 years. This is info I received for Cinco Ironwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness and thanks for that update Philip! That is definitely more bearable. And I also hope they have upgraded their keypads.

      Delete
  3. Dee - Did you look at any pricing to use pavers on the driveway / front yard ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the other people whose homes you've been to don't follow your blog ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I certainly never intend to offend anyone. I am not sure what could be interpreted as being offensive but my goal is simply to share my experiences and perhaps help some people through their homebudong process by doing so.

      Delete
  5. Dee, I'll be purchasing a TB home in Delaware soon.. We're waiting for the next sales event. Your blog seems to have proven what I considered true, that if you're on top of the build, do your due diligence, and hire outside inspectors the build will go according to plan.
    My questions are plentiful but i'll try to limit them:
    Was there an option to:
    -Upgrade insulation to foam
    -Upgrade water heater size or HVAC equipment to a larger one or dual units
    -Upgrade to fire rated (no burn) drywall/insulation
    -Customize cabinets (ie one w/ 3 drawers, next shelves, next 5 drawers, etc)

    From what we can tell using the design studio website we decided to add on the two upstairs sitting rooms over a conservatory (the middle sized one) instead of a playroom since we believe the basement will be enough play area. My third question is is the work on the same level as the rest of the house for your additional media room?
    Would you include a wine room under stairs for resale if you don't drink?
    If you opt out of something all together (like paint) will TB credit you in other areas? If you for instance don't want a fireplace for some reason, might they upgrade your lighting to cover 3 more exterior lights or something reasonable?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dee,
    I love your post they are informative!!
    We are under contract :) currently the contract for Westminister Security is now for 3 years and I was wondering can we opt out? I don't want keys pads from 1985 in our new home.. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there J!

      Congratulations on being under contract!!! And I hope you enjoy the building process as much as I did.

      You can certainly opt-out but you must pay for the alarm equipment (motion sensors, awesome keypads, window contacts, etc). I am not sure if they will offer skipping the entire installation but I can't imagine why they would refuse such a request.

      Delete
  7. Dee,
    Thank you so much for blogging your experience. I am a better buyer for it. We are in process of finalizing Vitoria model in Riverstone Pecan Ridge. Do you mind sharing how much was the upgrade for marble floor? I want that upgrade but trying to fit it all in the budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chirag Amin:

      Have you guys closed yet? I am about to sign a contract for the Venetian model in Pecan Ridge (Riverstone). If you can share your experience, that would be awesome. Especially on the pre construction inspection. Thank You.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curious how things are going with Toll? We close in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Z:

      Which model are you buying? We are very interested in the Venetian with the motor court garage.

      Delete
    2. We built a Vinton Renaissance in sienna Plantation but there is a Venetian down the street from us which was completed a couple of months ago.

      Delete
  10. Hi Z:

    Oh I like the Vinton too...it was our secondary option. Is your house built yet, and if yes, how is the quality. I have heard many horror stories so hearing from a new homeowner like you is vital in our decision making. Please share anything you can, thank you so much..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I responded to one of your other comments but I'll respond to this one too. Regarding the buying process, Toll Brothers is definitely more restrictive than other builders I've encountered. Their contract is iron-clad and they require more money down that you will not get back. I do believe that they lock you in to things very early on, such as choosing exterior paint colors and garage doors. But with that being said, the home is a great quality home.

      I was soooo fortunate to have a sales rep and construction manager team that provided me with weekly updates during construction and promptly answered my questions. Now, AFTER my home was built and I was not under the care of the construction manager, having some things addressed did turn out to be a headache. I do not think that reflected Toll Brothers, but rather reflected one employee was not knowledgeable and did not care about keeping homeowners happy. Once I reached out to the sales rep and construction manager concerning this issue, things were resolved.

      Feel free to ask other questions.

      Delete
  11. Hi Dee:

    Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it. So the key is the Construction Manager and the Sales Rep. I think I have a pretty good sales rep, but have not had a chance yet to get introduced to the Construction Manager, but I will want to meet for sure.

    I'm glad your house is built to your specs and you got your backsplash correct :)

    Agreed on the iron clad Toll contract, sigh.

    I also have replied back to you on the other section of your blog. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dee!!

    As we get closer to the close date I'm starting to look into insurance.

    Do you mind me asking... who do you have? I have been in touch with multiple companies and only ONE (Chubb) has come back to me saying they are writing policies for "high value homes in that area" and they are prohibitively expensive (likely because they know they are the only game in town).

    I have a couple of others I still need to get in touch with but I imagine I'm not the only one running into this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful home! I absolutely love the paint color you picked, Keratin. I actually tried to get some of it and Kwal was bought out by Sherwin Williams and they don't have Keratin in their system. Is there any way you can send/post a picture of the label from on top of the paint can? It has the formula on it and Sherwin Williams said if they have that, they can make some for me. Now that I've seen it in your home, I'm dying to paint my living room!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are several components about building a home that are fun to document. You want to be able to look back and see the progress that was made from the time the dirt was first shoveled to the time the frame and rooms started to come into view. Once the home is completed, it's sometimes a good idea to step back and look at ways to protect the environment that has been created.

    Henrietta Fuller @ Bri-Tech Heating and Cooling

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your blog! The details are so useful. We're early in the process of looking to find a new home and may very well likely be a Toll Brothers.

    Sounds like you're happy with the quality. I've read so much on the internet with most folks totally trashing Toll's quality (and contract, and sales process, and warranty service). It's scary.

    I've started a blog that may be of interest tracking our journey. Very early at this date.

    www.ahomefromscratch.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Dee. We will be closing shortly on home in Pecan Ridge, right down the street from you! :) Questions for you:

    1) Any issues with the stucco, specifically water damage and or penetration?
    2) Did you ever resolve the A/C issue? If so, was it just more balancing that was needed? How was Toll warranty during this process, receptive and responsive?

    Great blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

  17. The simultaneous collapse and fragmentation of the record industry sparked more fear throughout the studio industry, as shrinking label budgets dried up profits. within the end, all of those changes have caused hourly and project rates to erode to almost unsustainable levels. once you take under consideration all the expenses of a working studio-- lease/rent/mortgage payments, electric, insurance, security and equipment repair, just to call just a few-- charging the "going rate" makes it hard to only reach . For the studio owner trying to form a living, it's downright frustrating.
    handyman Mobile AL

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you're worried about hot and cold spots, there is air infiltration. Hire a contractor that can perform an blower door test and you'll get an idea of how much air exchange occurs between the indoors and out. You can't just add more insulation to air leak. You will need to seal the points of air infiltration.

    ReplyDelete