Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Weekly Construction Update #1

Toll Brothers attempts to keep buyers in the loop and informed by conducting weekly over-the-phone construction updates. I missed the call this past Tuesday, but the sales manager and the project manager, James, left updates on my voicemail. Here's the update...

James stated that they had gotten the plumbing grounds in, as I'd seen that prior weekend, and that the city inspection went well. The next step involves digging the beams, putting in the rebar (reinforcing steel) and cables. The goal was to get all of that done by Friday, get the site inspection done Monday and pour the actual foundation Tuesday.  I always planned on hiring an independent inspector to ensure that things were done properly. For new construction homes they are usually inspected at three stages - pre-foundation, framing and final. The costs for each according to one business was $350, $450 & $550 each but really worth it for more peace of mind. I used the Better Business Bureau as a reference and contacted several different companies to see if they could conduct a pre-foundation inspection Monday and 2 of the 3 do not do them at that stage because it is a waste of money since the city has to inspect it. The other company did not have availability that day. Either way, the builder's structural warranty is for 10 years so we're not worrying about it. Of note, Toll Brothers will not hold up building progress to coordinate inspection by a third party inspector.

The above plan was based on Mother Nature being on our side, however she must have an unresolved issue with me because it LITERALLY rained from 2pm yesterday until I went to bed after midnight. So the foundation will likely not be poured on Tuesday. That's fine with me - the longer it takes, the more time I have with my smaller mortgage ;-)

As mentioned in a previous post, Toll Brothers started the house without design center selections being made and therefore, we have been asked by the sales manager to make all plumbing selections and finalize them during our first meeting. Our first design center appointment is Wednesday and I am excited and afraid at the same time. Let's see what these high-cost builder's prices look like!

Today the family and I drove by the muddy lot to look at progress.  Here are the pics...


No comments:

Post a Comment