Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Mid-week Lot Visit

Now that selections from the design center will be installed, I feel it is necessary to visit the lot at least twice per week to make sure that things are done properly. Today I visited the house and discovered that there has been some confusion...of course.

Electrical

What a difference a few days make at this stage. Today I was surprised to see that the light fixtures, including ceiling fans, were almost done being installed. We even have a ceiling fan in the game room upstairs - which we were told would not be included.  Shhhh, I won't tell them it wasn't supposed to be there if you won't. The whole thought of it not being included is ridiculous anyway.

Majority of the recessed lights, or can lights,  had been placed too. The chandeliers were being assembled for the foyer, while the dining room, breakfast room and secondary stair chandeliers were already up.

The fixtures had also been installed in all bathrooms and we now have most of the electrical outlets and light switches in.





Tile

When I saw the tile for the master bathroom I was kind of shocked. Honestly, I do not remember choosing such busy tile work for the shower and tub. For background info, there are three parts surrounding the tub. There is the tub skirt, the tub deck and the tub back splash. The tub skirt is the side of the tub. The tub deck is the flat portion, similar to a countertop, and the backsplash is the wall on the sides of the tub. So apparently, there are 4 different types of tile on these three sides!!!  I freaked out and hated it and have to clear up some things with the design center ASAP.





Now, in the kitchen, they were installing the glass subway tiles correctly, but the accent tile was all wrong. I had chosen a granite and glass stone mosaic (bottom tile pictured below) with elongated pieces, however they were installing an accent tile with square pieces (tile on top below). Yeah, they'll have to take that out and redo it.


Tile in the other bathrooms seemed to have be done properly, aside from the shoddy work done for the corner shelves. Apparently I was the first person the designer had encountered to ask for soap dishes. She had to go and ask her manager about them. Maybe I'm weird...I don't know. If I would not have had soap dishes installed, the only place to place items would be on the corner shelves which are simply   cut pieces of tile 'glued' in the corner of the shower. Well I have a child who still takes baths and I don't like putting soap on the side of the tub. Yes, I'll take several soap dishes please.



When good work goes bad

As the person buying this house, it is my right, and job, to find things that need to be corrected and believe me, I will be doing this part very well.  Here are a few things I discovered during this visit.

Let's point things out shall we?

Fungus

Yes, there is something growing in the master bathroom above the shower where the wall meets the ceiling. I have pointed this out to the construction manager and we need to figure out why water is penetrating that area. NOT COOL!!

It appears to have a stalk - yes, it's gross
Address frame

The address frame was placed too high on the front of the house so it keeps the light fixture from sitting flush against the house.



Resolution

By the grace of God I was able to actually sit down with the sales manager without a meeting. Now that NEVER happens. Time with her is by appointment only and she is always busy and had been out of town for over 1 week. We discussed the tile issues and she asked that I send her an email and she will forward it to the construction manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment